Wednesday, February 11

Watch what you say

I got into both my classes and I know people in both of them, which is really cool because last semester I didn't know anyone and now I have people in classes that I met last semester. It's pretty neat. : ) And it's a total of thirteen units.

I am looking forward to Monday nights since we're going to study Keller's book. Group discussion can be very enlightening.

In Asian Civilizations today (that's my history class) the professor was telling us about family structures and how men used to decapitate their wives if they disobeyed. Now, she says families joke around with that kind of stuff in America. The husband will jokingly threat to decapitate his wife if she does something without telling him. It was a very strange conversation.

Do you refer to an instructor in college as professor or teacher? Is teacher demeaning to their status if called thus? What makes a professor?

2 Comments:

At 2/11/09, 4:36 PM , Blogger HyperElbow said...

I've really never used either term. When referring to my instructors I use their names. Most often it's Dr. Lee, or Dr. Frank. If I am unsure I say Ms. Lee or Ms. Frank. It isn't like elementary school where you shout out teacher when you have a comment. Your teachers are more or less our peers. And professor is the same as teacher is the same as instructor. They are more or less moderators. At least that's how I see it....I should know, I've been in college for almost ten years total :)

 
At 2/11/09, 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would look at the syllabus. If they have a Ph.D. or Doctoral degree call them Dr. So-and-So. If they don't, I think I would call them Professor So-and-So, and let them tell you to call them something else if they don't like being called Professor. I don't think it would hurt you to use a title that shows more respect (like Professor) and have them tell you to call them simply by their name. But if they want to be called Professor and you talk to them like they're your buddy you might not be looked upon favorably. I would also avoid Professor, Dr., or any other title by it self; include their last name so they know that you know their name.

-nate

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home